12 Jan 2011

Bondage and Bribery

Yoga's the path to liberation, happiness, right?  So why did the words bondange and bribery enter my thoughts during today's practice??

Things I  do make me wonder. 

So tried using blocks between my legs for back bending, kindly suggested by Grimmley, but hurt my inner thighs and feet still splayed out, so am still strapping my feet parallel to a board....OK so not quite bondage but, it looks pretty weird...there has been some teeny weeny weeny progress, ie, in that I am no longer in danger of flying through the cardboard door into the next room.  I can stand up somewhat. 

This is gonna be my mission now..for what feels like a long long time.  I read up about the importance of keeping the feet parallel  in order not to jam the sacrum.  Jamming the sacrum seems bad bad bad, it needs to float around down there, one to keep the flow of spinal fluid,  essential for brain function and other such necessities ; )  Also on a vibrational level to keep the energy circulating, when we breath the sacrum has very  very subtle movements sending prana up and down sushunama.  So no jamming.  Parallel feet mission on!

Bribery....well I have had a very random practice schedule.  I work nights and mornings, so have been in the habit of practicing late afternoons.  Which is wonderful.  BUT it's all I can do with my little bits of free time.  Eat lunch, digest, hang around while digesting...waiting to practice, practice and then off for some class or another again.  Sooooooo  I thought I'd bite the bullet and try early morning, I am NOT good at mornings.  So I bribed myself, if I woke up early and did a full practice I would treat myself to lunch in my favourite Indian restaurant.  It worked!!!!   I woke up, must have been 2 degrees inside, turned on the heater and started practicing with thermal leggings, tracksuit bottoms, leg warmers, merino wool base layer, and two fleece...it was bulky to begin with but as the room and I warmed up i could gradually peel off the layers.  No sweating but the idea of a little moisture on my forehead appeared.  Felt good though, no heels in Kapotasana, but to be expected.  So now, at least until I get used to my new schedule I shall have a new bribe everyday, and 30 minute after lunch naps, when possible.  Clear my head and do something different with my free afternoon hours.  Am looking forward to this very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment