3 Mar 2011

Woman at Point Zero

About an Egyptian woman called Firdaus's, her life story from country to city, how she becomes a prostitute, kills her pimp.  Very powerful book, based on a true story.  Highlighting difficulties women all over the world still face. The last lines spoken by Firdaus the day before execution, after refusing to appeal, refusing any help, really touched me. Struck me as very yogic, through these extreme experiences and pain she found the truth.

"I have triumphed over both life and death because I no longer desire to live,nor do I any longer fear to die.

I want nothing, I hope for nothing, I fear nothing

Therefore I am free.

For during life it is our wants, our hopes, our fears that enslave us.

The freedom I enjoy fills them with anger."


No comments:

Post a Comment