4 Sept 2011

From darkness to light

Found this old photo taken while I was at university.
Reminded me how dark I could get, how my interest in yoga come about in that first week of university, how I had no idea where to start, what to do, how to practice, or even what practice was. 

So like the stereotypical student, I experimented... Are the students today lucky to have so much information to hand on the net.  They can find anything with a click of a mouse, or more likely with a touch on a pad on how to practice?  Does it help people speed up the process, or is the process part of aging? A process learned from experience.  I've always sought experiences.  In a way I'm glad I found things out the hard way, it may be slow but unforgettable.

Love this chant, I feel it to be so true for my practice. The first time I chanted it in India I had no idea what I was chanting, but I liked the sound and loved the teacher doing the chant. 

asato ma sad gamaya                             
tamaso ma jyotir gamaya                        
mrutyor ma amritam gamaya   


From ignorance lead me to truth             
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

— Brhadaranyaka Upanisad, 1.3.28

1 comment:

  1. ahhh so that's what it means, one of my favourite chants from the Chants of India CD, thanks for that.

    I've wondered this too, are students reading books for their papers or just googling. But then half the guys I knew used Keynote books for three years...what's the point.

    ReplyDelete